Sunday, January 30, 2011

Cupcake 9 - Crazy Crabs



Cupcake Name:
Crazy Crabs

And this is how it went down:
This is my most favourite one yet! They’re so so so cute! And not all that difficult to create! The cake is Red Velvet Cake and there is also a tiny bit of vanilla frosting used on this cake. It is mostly made with marzipan.



Taking a small piece, I kneaded a few drops of red food colouring into the marzipan until the colour was completely even. I then covered my board in icing sugar and rolled out a thin layer of the red marzipan. Using a knife, I cut a crab like shell out of the marzipan and then rolled the rest up into 2 balls and shaped them into claws.

I put a spoonful of frosting onto the cake and then laid the crab shell over the top. I lifted the sides of the shell and tucked the claws underneath. Then, using my icing pens, I placed to dots of white and black onto the cake for eyes. Finally, to make the shell and the claws nice and shiny, I painted them with a mix of vanilla extract and salmon coloured lustre dust.





Wins:
• Pretty much everything. These cakes look the closest to Lily’s so far...

Fails:
• Nothing. Love them!


What I’d do different if I had my time over:

• Nothing. I think they’re perfection!

No comments:

Post a Comment