Monday, January 17, 2011

Cupcake 5 - Day of the Dead Skulls



Cupcake Name:
Day of the Dead Skulls

And this is how it went down:

These cupcakes are the hardest I’ve made so far. They’re made using chocolate cupcakes and they are covered in fondant (well, in this case – white icing). Firstly Using a knife, I cut two ‘eye sockets’ out of the cakes. Then, with the rolled out white icing, I covered the cupcakes. This was the hard part. It was difficult to prevent holes, especially when I was attempting to tuck it into the ‘eye sockets’. It was also hard to make a skull shape out of round cupcakes. I’m not sure how Lily did it but perhaps fondant is easier to mould into that kind of shape than white icing.








I attempted to use home-made coloured frosting to decorate these skulls but it was way too runny and my decorating pen wasn’t holding well, so I had to use the couple of icing pens I had – in glitter black and plain red. I wish I had more colours because I could have made them look so awesome.



I used little sugar hearts, flowers, cachous to decorate the skulls, sticking them down with confectioner’s glue (which is awesome!). I’m not overly happy with them. They look like a 5 year old has made them but I guess that was kinda the look they have anyway.

Wins:
• The cake.
• Confectioner’s glue is brilliant!
• The flowers, sugar hearts and cachous were fun to use to decorate.
• They kinda look like a retarded version of Lily’s.

Fails:

• White icing, why do you fail me?!
• Home-made frosting. Why couldn’t I have more coloured icing pens on hand!?

What I’d do different if I had my time over:
• I might like to do these over again at the end of the challenge. They’re really fun to make but I will attempt to get fondant and more coloured icing pens to make really good ones!

No comments:

Post a Comment