Sunday, January 9, 2011

Cupcake 2 - Blood Stained Brains.



Cupcake Name:
Blood-Stained Brains


And this is how it went down:

Red Velvet Cake... I’ve wanted to make this for a while but have never gotten around to it. Many recipes in this book call for it so I decided to make up one batch to use for different cupcakes and Bloody-Stained Brains is one of them! The cake is pretty easy to make. It called for 4 tablespoons of red food colouring but I only had 3 – the colour still looks amazing. It also called ingredients I’ve never used in a cupcake before like buttermilk and cider vinegar.



I didn’t follow the frosting recipe at all to be honest. I had a little vanilla frosting left from the rainbow cupcakes, so I topped it up with more cream and sugar and made my own version. I added red and black food colouring to the mixture get a nice human-organ colour.



I made the cakes super small, so I used a very small piping tip to create the brain matter pattern on the top of the cakes. I did a few layers of the mixture to give it dimension. Then, using my cool sauce/frosting pen, I syringed a thick cherry sauce into the gaps for a delicious blood-stained effect.







Wins:

• The cake is so nice. It’s not overly sweet and the colour is amazing.
• The frosting and the cherry sauce look awesomely brain-like. Disgusting and delicious!


Fails:


• Used too much cornflour in the cherry sauce so it’s a tiny bit too thick and has lost a bit of the cherry flavour.

What I’d do differently if I had my time over:

• I’d made the cakes a tiny bit bigger.
• Not use so much cornflour!!



Buffy, Anne Rice, True Blood and Twilight fans - Stay tuned for the next cupcake!

2 comments:

  1. i could taste the cherry they were very good brainsxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would recommend using a larger piping tip and a little lighter frosting for the brain matter. Brain matter is plump and tight-knit, not layered. Friendly advice from a member of the American Society of Clinical Pathologists and zombie lover! Keep up the GREAT work!

    ReplyDelete