Monday, February 21, 2011

Cupcake 11 - Marzipan Beetles



Cupcake Name:
Marzipan Beetles.

And this is how it went down:
These are like uber simple. I don’t even know how I’m going to make a blog out of this – it is that simple. The cupcake and the frosting are both vanilla but you can use any kind of this recipe!

I didn’t kneed my black food colouring into my marzipan. To get it to the right colour, I need to use a LOT of colouring which makes the marzipan go too gloopy... which ain’t cool. So, I made my beetles up and then painted them. They were pretty easy to make – I just moulded a small piece of marzipan into the shape of a beetle, using a toothpick, I marked out the lines on its body and voila! Beetle.



From here, I painted the beetles with black colouring and then dusted them with an avocado coloured lustre dust – they kinda look like Christmas Beetles! When they dried, I just popped them on the top the cupcakes. See what I mean? Simple! But very creepy cool.





Wins:
• I’m really happy with the beetles!

Fails:

• Nothing.

What I’d do different if I had my time over:

• Nothing, really. I’d maybe play around with the beetle shape a little more but that is probably about it!

No comments:

Post a Comment