Monday, February 21, 2011

Cupcake 12 - Black Roses



Cupcake Name:
Black Roses

And this is how it went down:

Okay. So, I was really nervous making these. Roses are to cake decorating like... well, I can’t actually think of something to compare it with, but let’s just say it’s freakin’ hard and like a major deal in cake decorating. As with the Marzipan Beetles, I didn’t colour the marzipan before. I think, if I were making pink roses, I would but the black is hard to do. Anyway, the cupcakes and the frosting are both vanilla.

Ah. My first attempt was an utter failure. Like a total embarrassment. I didn’t even read the instructions; I just made it up... so it serves me right!



After I read the instructions and followed them properly, I created something that actually looked rose-like! Woah, I know. I’m actually pretty proud of my first real marzipan rose. It was supposed to be made from gum paste but... you know my woes-me story about being a poor student and using what I have so I won’t trouble ya’ll again.



Anywho, I painted it black with my food colouring and then placed it on top of the cupcake!



Wins:
• The second rose is pretty good!

Fails:
• The first rose.
• The painted food colouring – made the rose look a tad too shiny

What I’d do different if I had my time over:
• Use gum paste and food colouring before it is made – not after!

No comments:

Post a Comment